Life can be stressful.
That’s why God gave us cake.
Like this one.
He also gave us goofy friends who say silly things and make us laugh even when everything is miserable. And then all you want to do is feed them cake 🙂
Like this one.
Sometimes things in our lives are spiralling out of control.
Or things are not going the way you want them to.
Or hey, you’re unhappy about something and it’s all you can think about.
Been there, done that.
But you know what’s a billion times better than dwelling on those sad thoughts?
Doing something for you. Just for you.
A little pick-me-up or a stress-buster, and having some fun while you’re at it.
Here’s 10 things to do for yourself to feel better right this minute.
1. Cuddle with a puppy. Stick your face in the soft furriness and cover his face with smoochies. How about this one?
2. Call an old friend. Talk about monkeys, fitness, philosophy or food. Whatever you fancy- those are just a few things I talk to my oldest friend about.
3. Stand in front of the mirror. Let your hair down. And dance to this song. (I just did. And I can’t stop.)
6. If you have a funny dad like mine, (most people do right?) send him a message and then grab your stomach laughing for the next 5 minutes. Real examples below:
7. Go be a badass at the gym. Nothing feels like a problem when you’re snatching a heavy bar over your head. Like seriously. If you’re in Singapore come hangout with these super fun people at CrossFit Firecity.
8. Write. About anything. Let that pen hit paper and you’ll see things tumbling out making you feel better. Not convinced? Read this.
9. Sleep it out. Sleep makes everything calmer and clearer. Stay in bed all day. It’s okay to be lazy sometimes. Really, it is.
10. Bake this cake. Boom. Life is better.
Flour-less Chocolate and Rum Cake
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
180 g dark chocolate (the best you can find)
120 g butter (salted), plus a little extra for greasing
120 g caster sugar
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
60 g cocoa, sifted
100 ml dark rum
cherries to garnish (optional)
For the glaze
100 g dark chocolate
50 g butter
60 ml dark rum
1. Preheat the oven to 190º C. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a low flame, stirring until both melt. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add the sugar and stir in well.
2. Crack the eggs in one at a time, making sure to mix well and fully incorporating each before adding the next.
3. Add the vanilla, cocoa and rum and stir well until everything comes together in a loose batter. Pour into a greased 9-inch round tin and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. For the glaze, melt the chocolate and butter together, and remove from the flame to cool. Stir in the rum.
5. This is a soft cake so make sure it is completely cool before you turn it out onto a plate or it may break. Placing it in the fridge for a few minutes before turning out usually helps. Once transferred onto a plate, pour the glaze over and top with cherries if you like.
This cake reminds you to be nice to yourself. Be kind. Things can get hard sometimes, but more often than not, they get better.
Spoil yourself a little. Because you’re amazing. And never for a minute think you’re alone.
In the end you’ll see, we’re all sitting across each other at a giant table, eating cake and laughing together 🙂