Life can be stressful.
That’s why God gave us cake.
Like this one.
He also gave us goofy friends who say silly things and make us laugh even when everything is miserable. And then all you want to do is feed them cake 🙂
Like this one.
Sometimes things in our lives are spiralling out of control.
Or things are not going the way you want them to.
Or hey, you’re unhappy about something and it’s all you can think about.
Been there, done that.
But you know what’s a billion times better than dwelling on those sad thoughts?
Doing something for you. Just for you.
A little pick-me-up or a stress-buster, and having some fun while you’re at it.
Here’s 10 things to do for yourself to feel better right this minute.
1. Cuddle with a puppy. Stick your face in the soft furriness and cover his face with smoochies. How about this one?
2. Call an old friend. Talk about monkeys, fitness, philosophy or food. Whatever you fancy- those are just a few things I talk to my oldest friend about.
3. Stand in front of the mirror. Let your hair down. And dance to this song. (I just did. And I can’t stop.)
4. Grab a cup of tea, get under the covers and drown yourself in a good book. I recommend this or this.
5. Go get some sunshine and breeze. Everywhere has someplace quiet and beautiful, but if you’re in Singapore like me, nothing beats the Botanical Gardens and this stunning trail.
6. If you have a funny dad like mine, (most people do right?) send him a message and then grab your stomach laughing for the next 5 minutes. Real examples below:
7. Go be a badass at the gym. Nothing feels like a problem when you’re snatching a heavy bar over your head. Like seriously. If you’re in Singapore come hangout with these super fun people at CrossFit Firecity.
8. Write. About anything. Let that pen hit paper and you’ll see things tumbling out making you feel better. Not convinced? Read this.
9. Sleep it out. Sleep makes everything calmer and clearer. Stay in bed all day. It’s okay to be lazy sometimes. Really, it is.
10. Bake this cake. Boom. Life is better.
Flour-less Chocolate and Rum Cake
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
180 g dark chocolate (the best you can find)
120 g butter (salted), plus a little extra for greasing
120 g caster sugar
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
60 g cocoa, sifted
100 ml dark rum
cherries to garnish (optional)
For the glaze
100 g dark chocolate
50 g butter
60 ml dark rum
1. Preheat the oven to 190º C. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a low flame, stirring until both melt. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add the sugar and stir in well.
2. Crack the eggs in one at a time, making sure to mix well and fully incorporating each before adding the next.
3. Add the vanilla, cocoa and rum and stir well until everything comes together in a loose batter. Pour into a greased 9-inch round tin and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
4. For the glaze, melt the chocolate and butter together, and remove from the flame to cool. Stir in the rum.
5. This is a soft cake so make sure it is completely cool before you turn it out onto a plate or it may break. Placing it in the fridge for a few minutes before turning out usually helps. Once transferred onto a plate, pour the glaze over and top with cherries if you like.
This cake reminds you to be nice to yourself. Be kind. Things can get hard sometimes, but more often than not, they get better.
Spoil yourself a little. Because you’re amazing. And never for a minute think you’re alone.
In the end you’ll see, we’re all sitting across each other at a giant table, eating cake and laughing together 🙂
7 thoughts on “Flour-less Chocolate and Rum Cake and 10 things to do for yourself to feel better right this minute”
Hey Charis, I LOVE your blog. Its funny and fresh and oh so great for a mother with a toddler…so quick question…what kind of dark chocolate do I buy for the flourless chocolate and rum cake? (i will minus the rum) living in calcutta my choices are limited so please help! and apart from the cherries what other topping can i use?
Hey 🙂 Your baby is too cute! Love the pictures on FB. Accha so in Cal for the chocolate, I would use the dark chocolate compound slab you can get in New Market. I’ve baked with that before and it’s worked just fine. If not, any other good dark chocolate you can find will also do – Lindt or Godiva etc. Hope that helps? Let me know how it turns out! 🙂
PS- If you’re omitting the rum, the cake may not be as moist. You might need to sub with some other liquid. Maybe milk?
The cake is really looking very yummy. Just so soft and delicious. I wish I could have made it as u have prepared but I know it will turn out to be a real disaster if I start baking a cake….thank u for the recipe and process…
Hi Storm. The cake looks lovely! Just a quick question..can this be made in a microwave? thinking of surprising my bf with this recipe 😀
Not tried to make it in a microwave. Cakes are always better in a proper oven though!
Just what I needed to read! :* the cake looks SO good. Will try it very soon 🙂
Hey Charis, I might have reached to your blog for a few times, but this is the first time when I really liked it so much that cannot stop myself to comment on it. Though I am a food lover and love to visit any blog which is offering such a nice Flour Less Chocolate and Rum Cake (especially when you host is so beautiful) it truly becomes essential to go through the post, and then I realized it is not only the sweetness of the cake, but it is also having some important tips which we all are looking for in our life.
Other than you, and the delicious cake, I liked the post on “10 things to do for yourself to feel better right this minute” This is truly an awesome way to present things.