A few of you, my gentle, non-violent readers, have told me that you’re going to mail me slaps if I keep writing only health/fitness/diet posts.
I was shrewd enough to pick up on your very subtle feedback.
So I asked you guys for suggestions on what to bake and I got some great ones.
But in the end, after some deliberation and discussions with fellow decadent dessert lovers, I decided this dessert is the one I want to #stuffmyfaceinrightnow.
I modified it a bit though, so putcha hands up for…Triple whiskey dark chocolate cake baby!
This cake is everything you want in a dessert.
It also has some side effects.
It might make you laugh like a loon and then dance around your room to this song.
It may even make you think that a shot of whiskey with a slice of the cake before a work phonecall is the best idea ever. FYI – It. Is. NOT.
What I love about this bombshell is that you can taste the chocolate and the whiskey in every layer.
You can taste it in the moist and fudgy cake layers.
You can double taste it in the sinfully smooth and shiny ganache filling.
And then triple taste it in the dense and slightly salty buttercream on top.
Although it has 3 parts, it’s really quite easy to throw together if you have all the ingredients.
Just don’t eat it until all the parts come together, ummkay?
I know it’s hard when it looks like this…
But hold on, because it gets SO much better!
Here’s what you do.
Triple whiskey dark chocolate cake
Adapted from: Undressed Skeleton
Prep time: 30 mins, plus cooling
Cook time: 40 mins
110g flour, sifted
50g unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
225g castor sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 medium eggs
100 ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
100 ml whiskey
60 ml milk
80 ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
sprinkles, if desired
For the ganache
200 g dark chocolate chips
80 ml heavy cream
4 tbsp whiskey, plus more if needed
2 tbsp unsalted butter
For the buttercream frosting
150 g salted butter, softened
200 g icing sugar (plus more if needed)
50 g unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
4 tbsp whiskey, plus more if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 180º C. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In another bowl crack in the eggs, add the coffee, whiskey, milk, and oil and whisk well.
3. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix well until you have a uniform batter. It will be rather thin – don’t worry about it. Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes. If the cake is still wobbly in the centre, switch off the oven and leave the cake inside to cool. If not, remove and leave the tin on a wire rack to cool.
4. For the ganache, put the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Heat the cream until gently bubbling, then pour in the whiskey and stir. Pour over the chocolate chips, add the butter and stir to melt the chocolate. Taste and add more whiskey if desired. Leave to thicken in the fridge.
5. For the buttercream frosting, mix the butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, and whiskey together. Taste and add more whiskey if desired. If it isn’t thick enough, add more icing sugar. Mix to a thick, creamy consistency. Set aside.
6. Once the cake is completely cool, slice it gently through the centre to create 2 layers. Place the bottom layer on the serving plate and top evenly with the ganache. Cover with the top layer and top with the buttercream frosting. Decorate with sprinkles if desired, and serve!
Ain’t she a beauty?
This drunken cake is perfect to bring to a party, or to just eat by yourself (LOL).
What ya waiting for? Make it now 😀
6 thoughts on “Triple whiskey dark chocolate cake”
Your style is really unique compared to other people I’ve read stuff
from. I appreciate you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll
just bookmark this web site.
Yum yum yum! Looks soooo decadent *droooool*.
I am already thumakoing (love the song too) 🙂
Sinful & delicious, never baked with rum before.. can’t wait to try this!
How high can you get on this. This is better than a Patiala Peg.
I can keep telling my wife I am only eating a piece of cake.
Love it. Can it be packed and carried as it will be very useful while transiting Dubai.
Wow, seems yummy 🙂 Good one.